Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Comfort Food Cravings

I have been craving comfort food the past few days.  It probably has something to do with the snow storm we had yesterday.  Cold weather always makes me want a bowl of something cheesy and full of carbs.  Lucky for me it was my day to make the meal plan and shop for the week, so I could pick something to satisfy my craving.  I chose Spaghetti Squash Alfredo from Food Doodles.  This is one of my favorite dinners to make.  At one point it was on my menu every week!  I love it because it feels so indulgent but I don't feel guilty since the vehicle is a vegetable instead of pasta!


Look at that beauty!

A few things I do differently with the recipe:
1. I cook my spaghetti squash at 450 degrees for 35-45 minutes.  After cutting it in half, I spray it with some olive oil and sprinkle with some salt and pepper (using my new Misto set I got for Christmas, thanks Mom!).  




Then I place it cut side down on a baking sheet, no water needed.

2. I leave out the cream cheese.  Even though I used to add it, I forgot to buy it once.  When I left it out and didn't notice any difference, so I decided not to add it anymore. 

3. Instead of pouring the sauce into the spaghetti squash halves, I just scoop the squash right into the pot with the sauce.  The first time I made this I didn't cut the squash evenly so I decided just to combine it all together and then divide.  Also, since I'm not a patient person, I didn't want to pour it back into the boats and then broil, so I just served it as is.




Served with a side of broccoli and a sprinkle of garlic salt...heaven! 

In other news, I have been keeping up with the BodyRock 30 Day Challenge.  I have completed every day so far and I am super proud of myself.  I'm starting to feel stronger, though the workouts are still kicking my butt!  I can't wait to see what the next week brings! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment