Friday, January 31, 2014

Sweet Potato Nachos

Recently I saw a picture on Pinterest of nachos that used sweet potato chips instead of tortilla chips...but there was no recipe.  So I decided to try and create my own!

First, I made some sweet potato chips.  I don't have a mandolin so it was quite a difficult task.  Plus the potatoes I bought were gigantic and basically impossible to cut.  So my chips were a little uneven/oddly shaped.  




I thinly sliced the potatoes and laid them in a single layer on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.  Then I sprayed them with olive oil and sprinkled with salt & paprika.  



I put them in a 400 degree oven for 12 minutes, then flipped them and cooked for another 12 minutes.  After 24 minutes some of the potatoes were turning brown so I took those out and set them aside, and let the bigger pieces cook for about 10 more minutes.  (Next time I make these I will probably cook them longer at a lower temperature- I had a few chips burn and a lot of chips that didn't get crispy enough.)



While the chips cooked I cooked 1/2 lb of ground turkey.  




I seasoned it with homemade taco seasoning (recipe via The Girl Who Ate Everything).



To make the nachos, I put the chips on a plate and topped them with the ground turkey and a little bit of reduced fat Mexican style shredded cheese.



My sister also made Chipotle's Guacamole recipe to go with our nachos.  It was fantastic!

Despite the half-burned, half-soggy sweet potato chips, it was a perfect Friday night dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment