Saturday, January 18, 2014

Pizza Night!

Ah, another pizza recipe.  I do love pizza. :) Tonight I made a pepper and mushroom pizza on a cauliflower crust.  I like making a cauliflower crust for a few reasons.  First, it's a great way to get in some extra veggies.  Second, homemade pizza dough is a lot of work and I don't have the right equipment (like a rolling pin or pizza stone).  And third, it's a great way to save on some calories if you do it the right way.  Most recipes for cauliflower crusts have like 2 cups of cheese which sort of defeats the purpose of making it healthier.  However, I found this recipe from The Detoxinista that only uses 1/3 cup of goat cheese and an egg to hold the crust together.  This is the second time I've followed this particular recipe, and it is definitely better than the first one I tried (that had way more cheese).

Here's what you'll need:



1 Cauliflower Pizza Crust (via The Detoxinista)
10 tablespoons pizza sauce
1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 teaspoon olive oil
4 to 5 baby portabello mushrooms, sliced
1/2 red pepper, sliced

1. Make the pizza crust.

Making the cauliflower rice






The "dough"

The key to making this crust so good is definitely ringing out the water.  The first time I made this, I burned my hands when ringing out the water.  So I learned from my mistakes.  After draining the cauliflower, lay it out on a towel and let it cool for a few minutes.  This way, when you squeeze out the water and it gets all over your hands, it won't still be boiling hot.  You're welcome. :)




2. While the crust cooks, heat the olive oil in a pan over medium high heat.  Add the mushrooms and sautee until golden, about 5 minutes.
3. Remove the crust from the oven.  Top with the sauce, cheese, and vegetables.
4. Put the pizza back in the 400 degree oven for 5 to 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted.  Slice and serve immediately.




























I served with a salad (romaine, fat free feta, organic italian dressing) to round out the meal. 


No comments:

Post a Comment